Kidney Transplant Care in Dallas and Rowlett TX
Were You a Kidney Transplant Recipient?
Dallas, TX, is home to CKD Consultants of Kidney Disease. Our other locations are North Dallas, Plano, Mesquite, Royse City, Rockwall, and Rowlett, TX. Dr. Muzzaffar Hussain, Dr. Syed Ali, and Dr. Adnann Polani are hosts of this fantastic kidney specialist center. Our amazingly talented doctors are skilled, experienced, licensed, and board-certified in kidney healthcare. They await your call for help with your chronic kidney disease diagnosis and kidney transplant care.
Kidney Transplant Care
You may seek a kidney transplant if you reach end-stage kidney disease. CKD Consultants of Kidney Disease want to explain kidney transplant care. A transplant happens when your kidneys fail, and you must rely on a kidney donor. A transplanted kidney can last beyond 20 years.
Our doctors place a new kidney in your body to treat kidney failure; your failed kidneys usually remain unless they cause problems. However, there are other things to consider, like kidney transplant care.
You remain in the hospital for about three days to monitor recovery following a kidney transplant. Everyone reacts differently to surgery and healing; while someone may need short-term dialysis for a few days to a few weeks until the kidney fully functions, others may not.
Transplant aftercare means you must take medications to keep your immune system in check so it doesn't reject the new kidney. You will have at least a two-inch or longer incision on your lower abdomen, so there will be wound care to prevent infection. Following our doctors' recommendations for transplant care is vital to hasten a speedy and successful recovery.
- No heavy lifting/strenuous physical work for eight weeks after the transplant; our doctors tell you when you can lift and how much you can lift
- No driving for at least six weeks after transplant
- Include stretching, walking, jogging, hiking, bicycling, tennis, golf, swimming, aerobics, strengthening exercises
- No contact sports
- Stay hydrated/limit caffeine
- Avoid raw/undercooked foods
- Consume adequate protein/dietary consult/protein supplements/don't over-eat protein
- Avoid grapefruit/grapefruit juice/suppresses the immune system
- Avoid NSAIDs/antihistamines/antacids/can cause kidney dysfunction
- Avoid select herbal supplements/some vitamins/St. John's Wort/Schisandra/herbal teas/some natural supplements/interaction with transplant medications/consult us first
If you develop the following after returning home, please call us immediately.
- 100-degree or higher fever
- New pain around the kidney
- Swelling in legs/feet/ankles
- Decreased urination
Call Us Anytime You Are Concerned About Your Transplant Care
Keep in touch with us for any transplant care concerns. Call Dr. Hussain, Dr. Ali, or Dr. Polani for all questions at the CKD Consultants of Kidney Disease in Dallas, North Dallas, Plano, Mesquite, Royse City, Rockwall, and Rowlett at (469) 904-2020. Depending on your body, recovery takes about six or more weeks. Our doctors are here to support your healing and recovery from kidney transplant surgery.